Wellness of your body depends a lot on your food habits, clothing, and lifestyle. But if there is a lapse in personal hygiene then it can cause the feeling of discomfort and uneasiness ,which is difficult to deal with. Lapse in personal hygiene may upshot either of following complaints especially in women:
Bikini line rashes: caused due to accumulation of sweat in the inner thighs
- Heat rash
- Hot flashes
- Sweaty hair
- Itching in the genitals
- UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)
Urinary Tract Infection is an infection which affects the inner lining of the urinary tract. Urinary Tract Infections are caused by microbes, including fungi, viruses and bacteria. However, bacteria are the most common cause of UTI. It is a microbial infection that usually occurs when Escherichia coli (E.coli) bacteria enter the opening of the urethra and multiply in the urinary tract.
The body has natural defenses against bacterial infection of the urinary tract. Urine has anti-bacterial ingredients but once stagnant, it can also provide a medium for proliferation of these bacteria. In normal course, urine has acidic properties (pH of 5) which are not favorable for growth of bacteria. Additionally, urination expels microbes from the urinary tract and prevents it from affecting to the bladder and kidneys. In case of Urinary Tract Infection, the natural defenses of the body fail and bacteria colonize the urinary tract.
Additional set of bacteria that by and large contaminate the urinary tract take in Staphylococcus saprophyticus, Proteus mirabilis & Klebsiella.
Signs & Symptoms of Urinary Tract Infections
- Pain or burning sensation during urination
- Cloudy urine with a pungent/ unpleasant odor
- Discharge from vagina and bloating
- Dizziness/ Nausea/ Vomiting
- Increased frequency of urination
- Urgency in urination
- Change in color of urine
- Mild fever
Mild to moderate pain in
- Lower abdomen
- Lower back
If you witness any of these symptoms and signs please consult doctor immediately.
Urinary Tract Infections are also of different types. So get a proper examination and diagnosis done from your doctor and then appropriate medication/treatment for it.
Preventive Care for Urinary Tract Infections
- Take care of personal hygiene to get faster relief from infection.
- Prolonged use of tight fitting pair of jeans or shorts should be avoided.
- Make use of cotton inner wears rather than non-absorbent synthetic materials.
- Subsequent to every washroom visit, a woman should wipe from front to back up from vagina to anus, properly so that the bacteria from the anus do not infect the urinary tract.
- Keep your vulvar area clean and do NOT leave it wet.
- Use of any perfumes or perfumed soaps/washes near the genital area should be discouraged as they may destroy the healthy useful bacteria present there.
- Women should make it a practice to urinate before & after sexual activity with the intention that the genital and anal areas should be kept clean & dry.
Drink plenty of water and healthy fluids on regular basis which will lead to frequent urination assisting in flushing out the infectious bacteria from urinary tract.
- Spicy and oily foods are better should not be consumed very frequently
- Include more fruits & vegetables to add on water content & stay hydrated
- Eat light & nutritionally right diet at frequent interval
- Always carry water bottle during outdoors to prevent dehydration
This article was previously published on OoWomaniya and here in January 2016
Feature Image Source: ayurvedichomeremedies.net