In today’s technology driven world, the internet has become an integral part of our daily lives. From the first thing in the morning to the last thing at night we use the internet for various purposes. For instance, to keep up with the news, to text a friend, to gather information for a project, or even to watch a movie we take undue advantage of the internet. It has become more of a need than a necessity. It is the latest 21st century icon and is sweeping the nation.
We may not realize this but when online, we are extremely vulnerable to strangers. Thus we need to be careful while surfing the internet, so as to not reveal our personal information to strangers on the internet.
Here are some tips to steer clear from stranger danger
Image Source : Google
- Passwords are the key to our accounts. When choosing a password we should make sure that it is unique, strong and cannot be easily guessed by any person. Choose a password that has a variety of digits, letters in uppercase or lowercase. This will greatly reduce the chances of your password being guessed by someone.
- Avoid using personal information as passwords. Use passwords referring to things that are significant only to you.
- Make sure you remember your passwords. If you are in a habit to write down passwords, make sure you do not leave them in plain sight.
- Avoid using the same password for several accounts.
- Lastly it is a good practice to keep changing your password every few months or so.
Do Not Give Out Personal Information To Strangers :
Image Source: Google
- Don’t give your full name, address or phone number to anyone online, you are not acquainted with or do not trustperc on.
- Be careful while making friends online, many people build fake profiles and portray themselves as someone they aren’t. They pretend to be friendly in order to gain your trust and personal information. Sharing personal details with strangers not only holds at stake your identity but also your personal safety.
- Limit the amount of personal information shared on the internet. Today, social media websites like Instagram, snapchat and Facebook are part of most people’s daily lives. Many people post important information about themselves online. Due to this, anyone viewing your profile is able to access essential pieces of information about you.
Protect your connection
- Make use of an anti-virus program, an anti-spyware program and a firewall.
- Having these safe guards your computer and saves you from things you may not even think to be dangerous.
- A firewall can be used to barricade your internet system from the rest of the cyber world. This keeps your data and information private.
These are some of ways through which we can ensure our safety by the protection of our information and data.